Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Crusade 53 - Color Mixing


GPP Street Team's challenge for the month of July is "Mad Scientist". I love it when you are painting and one color on your brush crashes into another blop of paint and I end up with an unexpected hue. For July's Art Crusade I intentionally blended four preselected colors to produce three new experimental colors. On my palette I set out black cherry, pumpkin, moon yellow, and coastal blue. These colors have a similarity to primary colors with a twist. As I mixed I was careful not to make my colors dirty. I was trying to create muted vibrancy. My combinations are the top three. It was really fun to name them. God must have had a rip-roaring time naming everything, because I had a giggle just naming three colors. Ta-da...introducing fig, french pear, and anise.

From my new palette I created two pages for an altered book collaboration. Currently I am creating in Maryann Ready's book. Her book theme is cut-up. I found that a cut-out window toward the back pages revealed part of an abstract clown. Here is the base page:
I then created two cut-ups that have peak through images to the clown base page. Both characters are layerings of painted papers. A variety of painted papers were made from the fig, french pear, and anise colors. Accents were texturized through glazing from the more vibrant coastal blue and pumpkin.


9 comments:

  1. Pam - interesting colors to start with...already strong colors on their own. I am impressed with what you got from mixing, and the names! Fun to do but not as easy as you think, right? I LOVE the color names you left in the comment on my main blog, as influenced by your Pacific Northwest locale. Super clever and I can visualize the colors as motion because of your choices. Thanks for coming to play with us and sharing your scientific report, and your fabulous faces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pages here; Love the colours and the faces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your colors - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bold colours! Lovely paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cool - great colours and really interesting art work. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how the very simple palette you choose blended to create unfussy colors. Some designers go so overboard with colors, but I always favor the classics.

    The food-inspired names are fantastic. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pam, I like the new colors that you mixed and your names for them- great fun. Thanks for visiting my blog. It will be fun to see what you do for your nature journal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hold ON! peek through images? I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the names,and the richness of the colours. I love those pictures, great flip book.
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete